

OK. So I have really been in Texas since Thursday (and I did grow up here) but it is amazing how a few years away will really change your perspective.
As soon as I left Austin, I started seeing signs for McCain/Palin. I almost ran off the road as I realize that I had not seen one in real life until that moment. Another thing I saw, that you don't see in California is gas that is less than three bucks a gallon. A reported $2.80 in some places in East Texas. Of course, I happened to purchase my $2.89 gas from a station in Palestine that featured the lovely aroma of cigarettes inside (another CA no-no) and a full-fledged casino in the back room by the restrooms. Howdy doody. The shop keeper was chatting up a customer about how she was going to get her shotgun out after some heathen young man she knew.
Alas, I have been converted by the hippes in California. I apologize, even though as Dave would point out, I am not sorry. It is just the Southern thing to do - apologize.
I was also made fun of at the grocery store for buying herbs de provence since that was deemed "too fancy for Texas cooking" by the checkout lady. Well, I won't be hanging my head in shame when I make roasted potatoes tonight.
For now, I have taken over the local Starbucks with my liberal politics and my MacBook Pro as I work and blog and listen to music that no one would approve of here.
No comments:
Post a Comment